For an example gallery visit here
You can view the readme online, which contains everything in this post and detailed instructions on installation, here. This readme is also included inside the download.
I wanted a gallery that was able to read a folder defined by me and display the images in that folder in nice neat thumbnailed manner that was ordered alphabetically and had some nice features. After much searching I found nothing. So why not make my own? Well that's exactly what I did and good thing I did because it turned out pretty awesome!
- Very easy install.
- Caches thumbnails
- Text based database
- Description system
- Customizable folder icons
- Customizable folder descriptions
- Automatically generates certain necessary files.
- Don't have to move images from current folder location.
- Handles JPEG and JPG file types. Can handle GIF and PNG but the EXIF won't work for those filetypes.
- Show images in the current gallery folder alphabetically.
- Show subfolders to the gallery folder alphabetically, giving access to tree-like structure.
- Thumbs view.
- Exif data that shows photographs camera settings and files size.
- Adjustable sizes for thumbnailed icons.
- Very flexible script.
- More I'm to lazy to think of.
In this version I have added:
- Ability to add descriptions to images (uses a text file database system)
- Ability to change the default "images" text above each set of images. You can define what you want there using full HTML in the .txt database file.
- Ability to make folder images something other than the default folder gif. You can put an image called "folder_image.jpg" in a certain folder within the folder your image is for and it will automatically replace the folder image.
- Ability to Cache images. Something I've wanted to do from the beginning but didn't really know how. I didn't really know how to go about this at first but then I pulled it off somehow.
- The script makes the description database file itself and adds the names of all the images in that folder to the text file. Useful, because you need to put the name of the image beside your description.
- Ability to set maximum folders to display per row. I don't know how to really explain this, check out my gallery and take a look at the folders.
- Some random code changes and additions here and there.
If you have any feature suggestions then feel free to shoot me an e-mail. Also, I'm extremely interesting in knowing what you use it for. So, shoot me an e-mail with the link to your gallery and with the subject "One use for your gallery", just out of plain interest.
If you like the script please rate it good. At whatever site you found it from, like scripts.com